General Data Protection Regulation – Privacy notice
Women Plus in Biophysics (WPIB) acts as the controller of your personal data under EU law and is responsible for its processing. The owners of this website, Dr. Sharona Gordon and Dr. Hugues Abriel, may be contacted at:
Dr. Sharona Gordon
University of Washington (USA)
Physiology & Biophysics
Dr. Hugues Abriel
University of Bern (Switzerland)
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
We do not share personal information with third-parties, nor do we store information about your visit for use other than to maintain a public directory of women researchers active in the field of biophysics. WPIB is not responsible for the republishing of the content found on this website on other Websites or media without permission.
2. When do we collect information?
We collect information whenever you give it to us directly. You may provide us personal information when you: use our site, donate, communicate with us, request a speaker, sign up for email newsletters, or leave a comment.
3. What information do we collect?
When you register in WPIB, we will usually collect your:
* First Name
* Middle Name
* Last Name
* Preferred Pronouns
* ORCID ID
* Primary email address
* Alternative email address
* Prof. website URL
* Professional Degree
* Seniority level
* Keywords of methods
* Keywords of topics
* Google Scholar
4. How do we use the information?
In general, we use data to:
* Send you updates and other communication purposes
* Feature you in our WPIB public directory
* Answer your inquiries
* Keep a record of your engagement with us
* Understand how we can improve our services and information
* Analyze WPIB platform activity, both its members and users
5. Who has access to personal information about you?
The information we hold about you is only accessible to the administrators of the site. We use other companies to help store personal data. Our main provider is listed below, but we may enlist the services of others from time to time.
Infomaniak – a Swiss company that provides cloud hosting for our directory. The web servers are located in powerful and secure data centers in Switzerland and are always up to date with regard to safety.
6. How do we keep the information about you safe?
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures and precautions in order to protect your information and to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of your personal data.
7. How long do we keep the information?
We retain the information about you for as long as necessary for the maintenance of this public database.
If you request to receive no further contact from us, we will keep some basic information about you on our suppression list in order to avoid sending you unwanted e-mails in the future.
8. How can I access my information on the WPIB platform and change it?
If you have created a profile on the WPIB platform, you may update your profile information or eliminate it from the directory by sending a message to this email with the changes you would like us to make.
9. Lawful Basis
Under EU law, organizations must have a “lawful basis” to collect, use, and share personal data. The law allows for six ways to process personal data (and additional requirements apply for special categories of personal information). Three of these are relevant to the types of processing that WPIB carries out.
This includes information that is processed on the basis of:
* A person’s consent.
* Processing that is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (e.g., to comply with our obligations as a not-for-profit to report fundraising); and
* Our legitimate interests (i.e., when the processing is necessary for the legitimate interest of the organization using the data or for a third party, as long as the use is fair and any potential adverse impact to the rights of the individual concerned are justified).
Consent: Where your consent is the basis for our processing of personal data, you may decline to give consent or withdraw it at any time.
Legal obligation: We process under a legal obligation where necessary in order to comply with a legal obligation imposed by the EU or Member State law.
Legitimate interest: Under EU law, personal data may be legally collected and used if necessary, in order to advance our legitimate interest or the legitimate interest of a third party.
Our legitimate interests include:
* Charity Governance; including delivery of our charitable purposes, statutory and financial reporting, and other regulatory compliance purposes.
* Administration and operational management; including responding to solicited enquires, providing information and services, research, events management, the administration of volunteers, and employment and recruitment requirements.
* Fundraising and Campaigning; including administering campaigns and donations.
If you disagree with the use of your personal information by us on the basis of legitimate interest, please get in touch with us by email.
10. Rights of individuals
Under EU and Member State data protection laws, data subjects have the following rights in relation to their personal data:
* Right to request details about the personal data that we process and obtain a copy of the data that we hold about them.
* Correct or update their personal data subject to the above.
* Erase the data that we hold about them in some cases.
* Restrict or object to its processing in some cases.
* Object to processing:
– Based on grounds relating to the individual’s particular situation, where the processing is based on legitimate interest, and
– Where personal data is being processed for direct marketing purposes
These rights are not absolute and are subject to various conditions under applicable data protection and privacy legislation.
If you wish to assert your rights, please address the relevant request by email.
11. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We change this Privacy Notice when we need to. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information, we will make this clear on our website and by contacting you directly.
12. Use of directory information by third parties
If you sign up for our WPIB directory, your information will be displayed on our website and available to the public. Other individuals will have access to it. For example, a journalist can see your email, discipline, or website and save those details for their own records. In the same way, you will be able to access information publicly posted in our directory.
We ask individuals that access personal information through our directory to use it responsibly and respectfully, but WPIB does not have control over their actions. Accordingly, please be aware that if you post your information in our directory, we will not be able to restrict how third parties may choose to use your information.
How to contact us – Disclaimer
All content provided on this website is for informational purposes only. The owners of this website make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site. The owners will not be liable for any errors or omissions. The owners will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let us know by contacting us by email.